Grabštejn or also Grafenstein was originally a Gothic castle from the 13th century, which was rebuilt as a spectacular Renaissance chateau in the 16th century. In 1704 Grabštejn was bought by Jan Václav Gallas and the castle’s history is linked to that family, or the Clam-Gallases, until the end of the Second World War. Under the Clam-Gallases, Grabštejn experienced a new heyday. The art-loving owners not only improved the chateau, but also expanded the collections and landscaped the park.
In the second half of the 20th century the chateau was occupied by the army, after which it fell into disrepair. However, reconstruction work has been under way here since the 1990s, which strives to have a minimum impact upon the monument and keep it as authentic as possible.